rope. tree. fan. spear. snake. wall.

Friday, July 29, 2005

oops, sorry

A whole week without blogging, what's that about? Sorry, I've been crabby and occasionally depressed, stressed out and annoyed. Probably mostly the weather, which is also making the demon spawn act up, which makes me even crabbier. And when one of them is being a buttwad, R says, ever so helpfully, "I just wouldn't let him get away with it", which manages to both imply that it's my fault and utterly fail to offer any constructive suggestion. How irritating is that?

Today was the last day of school. At G's kindergarten there was a sign up that they were having a farewell party or whatever you call that in English. I figured I'd drop him off and go to the gym and run errands, he'd eat pretzels and drink juice for 90 minutes, and then I'd pick him up on the way home. But no. They had some dreadful performance-ritual thing where the kids who are starting school in September had chiffon scarves tied to their wrists and waved them around in a little dance. And I had to stay and watch. Highly annoying.

And K's all done with elementary school. None of his hooligan friends are going to the same school he is, so next year the work will be harder and all his classmates will hate him. Wonderful. He says they think he's crazy. I do think he needs to change his attitude about school if he wants to get anything out of it, but I don't know how to bring that about. I don't know if it will be good to get away from those particular friends, who have encouraged him to misbehave in the past, or if it will be bad for him to go to a school where he has no allies. I don't know what's going to happen, but I'm worried. And I can't really discuss it with R because he's going to be really really busy for the next year or so. He has to write another book. Gack.

We are going to Legoland tomorrow, yes, again. Because we're insane, that's why. Because he promised his godson. Also, R's been invited to another conference, in September, which was when we were going to go to Croatia, the four of us. So the Croatia trip is cancelled. I am a bit disappointed, since that was my only shot at a vacation this year, but I think the conference is important. He's also going away to the Alps for a week with K - the place was almost full, and he could only book a room for two people, and I said at the time I didn't mind, but that was long before I realized that three days in Rome was going to be my only vacation this year.

However, I can't really get miffed about the unfairness of it all, since I don't want anything specific. It's not entirely R's fault. Plus, I am technically a grown-up now, and holding my breath about a problem until someone else makes it go away is not really a grown-up option. To be honest, I don't really want to take his place on the Alps trip. I also don't really want to go somewhere on my own. He's offered me both of those, so see, he's trying to make it fair. But I think I'll just wait until something comes up that I do want - Kelly might get to go to Turkey for her job, and I would definitely want to go visit her. Another Eric Meyer workshop might be worth calling in the favor for too. We'll see.

Ack. Entry too long. That's what I get for not blogging for a week.

No comments: