Well, I wish I had that We're Havin' a Heatwave, a Tropical Heatwave song on hand. We really are, even the weatherdudes are now giving morning ozone reports and advising us to keep our kids indoors from 11 to 5 or so. Yep, it's hot. Too hot even for gettin' your freak on, so I will be disingenuous and pretend that I didn't understand that interpretation of hotHotHAWT! So the mix is all about heat and the sun, fire and burning as a metaphor for teenage angst, finishing up with a few ideas for cooling off, whether your pain is physical or just psychic. Note that most of these remedies do work for either situation. Wish I'd known that when I was a teenager.
For the first mixmania! I was too stupid to think of making 2 CDs. For this one, I was too stupid to find empty CD cases for sale anywhere. I'm still looking, but meanwhile, I'm cannibalizing the ones I have, which are few anyway, and now I have all these naked CDs lying around. Memo to self: get shit together.
Anyway. The songs.
- Feels Like Rain - John Hiatt. Okay, this one actually works for both interpretations of hot.
- Miazis Me Fotia - Anemos. My Greek is pretty elementary, but I do know that φωτιά (fotia) means 'fire'.
- Among the Suns - BrainStorm. Happycute Latvian stoner band. Obviously listen to the Cure a lot.
- Time to Burn - The Rasmus. Angsty Finnish teenagers with a thing for crows.
- Witness - Sarah McLachlan
- Staring at the Sun - TV on the Radio
- Rooms on Fire - Stevie Nicks
- The Humid Press of Days - Camper van Beethoven
- Smooth - Rob Thomas/Santana
- Blister in the Sun - Violent Femmes
- Shy - Ani diFranco
- Too Hot - the Specials
- Ancora un Minuto di Sole - Eros Ramazotti. Italian king of pop. Again, 'sole' means sun, so this is probably relevant. Not that I really understand what he's saying.
- The Hippopotamus Song - John Lithgow. Yes, that John Lithgow.
- Nightwsimming - R.E.M
- Take You on a Cruise - Interpol
- 60 Miles an Hour - New Order
- Jesus Gave Me Water - Sam Cooke. See, even 2,000 years ago they knew that water's good when you're hot.
- Popsicle - Talking Heads. So are popsicles. I'm sure if they'd been invented at that point, Jesus would also have given people popsicles.
List of participants is here.
Song du jour of the day: any of the above.