rope. tree. fan. spear. snake. wall.

Saturday, May 06, 2006

the Descent

So once upon a time I was telling Mrs Next Door about what I hoped to achieve with my Database Administration course, and I wrapped it up by saying "...and it'll probably make me even more conversationally awkward than I already am!" and she said "That's kind of what I was thinking." Well, lo and behold, we were right.

I've spent the last six hours or so on this:
1. Write one query that uses a function from each of the following functional types:
     1. String functions
     2. Mathematical functions
     3. Date functions
     4. Grouping functions (aggregate functions)

2. Write two SQL statements that use joins, either INNER or OUTER joins as you choose. Include a description of what each SQL statement is doing, and what the results of each SQL statement should be.
I did about twice as much work as the assignment called for because it was Just! So! FUN! Every time a query worked I got to do a little happy dance, and the hours just flew by! I was so mad when my computer ran out of battery juice and shut down while I was in the middle of a query and I lost some of my work. But then I was happy because it meant I got to do it again!

I definitely need to think about getting some kind of therapy.

The song du jour of the day, therefore, is the Jesus and Mary Chain's Halfway to Crazy, even though I think I passed the halfway mark some time ago.

1 comment:

~d said...

I love this sentence:
I saw an elephant running down the street in my pajamas.