rope. tree. fan. spear. snake. wall.

Monday, January 09, 2006

We don't need no steenking resolutions

The problem I see with New Year's resolutions is that you are supposed to put them into action in January. January sucks. Post-holiday letdown is no time to get all virtuous. Consider:

  • It's still dark and cold and wretched out. There are very few reasons to leave the house that justify the half hour of extra socks-boots-sweater(s)-coat-hat-scarf-gloves application. Incipient starvation, maybe. Nothing else leaps to mind.
  • Icy sidewalks. You could break an ankle walking to the gym.
  • Diet? Want some fresh vegetables with that? Too bad, there won't be any until March! Hah!
  • Housework? Cleaning in artificial light always results in streaks, missed spots, and dust bunnies bison that somehow escaped the vacuum, and I'm not going to waste my three hours of daylight cleaning.
  • Get organized, declutter, unload all your excess stuff? Sure! Perfect weather for a garage sale! Not.

Plus I don't know about you, but this is when I usually get sick, and this year I'm bang on target with that. It's just a cold, but still. I am so not in the mood to become a Better Person™ right now. Check back with me in April.

1 comment:

KimberlyDi said...

My resolution is generally to make no resolutions. But then again, if I resolve to not resolve, I still resolved and thus broke my resolution already. Jeeezzz, just can't win for losing (as my mom always used to say).