rope. tree. fan. spear. snake. wall.

Monday, June 13, 2005

appearing competent

This column is too narrow, I'm used to thinking longer thoughts. I could shrink the typesize, but then some people might have to squint to read it, and that would be bad. I'm all about usability, man.

So things = under control. Sort of. Okay, not really. But I am learning to create an appearance of under-controlness, with a handy new technique I think I probably didn't invent, called stalling. In fact, I think not only did I not invent it, I'm probably the last person on earth to figure it out, and that's why everyone else makes this whole Life thing look so straightforward, while I'm always out of breath from trying to keep it all together. That's what I think. But I've figured it out, and it seems to be working so far.

Robert's translated the Text From Hell and it's my turn to proofread it. I already sent it back to him once (hint: every sentence needs a verb. Yes, every single one), so I probably won't be able to get away with that again. Busy With Homework is the current excuse.

L wants a new feature on the JOB site, one that will require like 20 new pages. Solution = easy: wait till Friday afternoon to email her that I'm not sure I understand, and request clarification, knowing she won't get back to me until Wednesday morning. Check.

Homework. Okay, no way around that, I just have to do it, but I can use my B+ average (so far) to justify giving it a little less than my last drop of sweat, thank you very much.

The millions of other things on my to-do list? Conveniently forgotten. Okay, I didn't say the system was perfect, but with a little refining here and there, I bet I can get away with a lot more than I do.

Hah.

No comments: