rope. tree. fan. spear. snake. wall.

Saturday, August 13, 2005

Things to covet

I think it's safe to say that there are certain kinds of people, and if you are of a certain kind, it is difficult to deviate from the expected behavior associated with that. Yes, since you ask, I am going somewhere with this. There are people who will spend $200 on a pot, and there are people who buy their pots for $3.99 at the grocery store. Yeah, you know who you are. And I think it's fairly obvious that I belong to the latter sort.

But I really covet this pot. I think it might be offended to share a kitchen with all my cheapcrappy aluminum. I am so not the type to spend $200 on a hunk of metal - a houseware. It is a wholly inappropriate thing for me to own. But still.

Robert has carefully pointed out that it's a large investment for someone who doesn't even like to cook. I said "If I had that pot, I would love to cook." He was (understandably) skeptical. But isn't it beautiful? It can go from stovetop to oven, and it even won a design award.

Yes, I know it's just a pot. I know this proves that I've been living in the suburbs too damn long. What can I say, I did it for my children. I hope they appreciate that I sacrificed my personality for their well-being.

No comments: