rope. tree. fan. spear. snake. wall.

Monday, December 31, 2018

Happy Almost 2019!

At the behest... well, no, request... actually, more like a suggestion - of my awesome friend Arja, I am going to crochet one teeny granny square per day next year, and sew them all into a teeny blanket and then... oh, probably give it to some baby somewhere. Anybody having a baby in 2019? Arja will too! Crochet a weather blanket, I mean, not have a baby. Only it's hexagons, not squares. And I don't know if she's planning to give hers to a random baby or keep it, but otherwise it's like exactly the same.

Here is a sample square I made a few days ago: the center bit represents the low temperature (below 0°C), the middle ring is the color of the sky that day, and the outer bit is the high temperature (I think it was 4°C that day).

The color card (click to embiggen) shows my temperature scale, and down there on the left is the plan I finally came up with for how to sew the squares together. I initially thought of starting at the center and working out in a spiral, but no I don't think so. And below is the whole project fitting in a box! Clearly this is a project to do at home, not on the go, which will be difficult on Tuesdays and Thursdays because I leave the house at 7:30 and get home Very Late Indeed and Also Quite Tired, but I think no one will be surprised to find me crocheting a granny square for each day, but not necessarily on each day. One of my resolutions for the coming year is to learn to recognize and work within my limitations.

So who's with me!? Haha, yeah, I know. If I wanted you to join in, I should have given you more time to plan. Apologies for that. The recognizing limitations thing is a work in progress.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ohai! I love doing this CAL with you! I shall also be spamming you with many, many pics of little hexagons. Your post reminded me that I still need to decide on layout. Unlike squares, hexagons come with strange possibilities.

alala said...

A spiral!? I think a spiral would be awesome.